»

Monday, August 13, 2007

James Dean's Life Story-in his own words

Jimmy didn't like to talk about himself. When he did, it was short and to the point. Here is what he said....


    This biological stuff, the kind of baloney that columnist thrive on, is one thing I can't stomach. I'm an actor by accident, I guess, though I've always been involved in some kind of theatrical bit since I was a child- you know, school plays, music, debate and stuff.

    I grew up in a little Indiana town named Fairmount. I was an only child. My father was a farmer, but he was something of an artist, too. He had this remarkable adeptness with his hands.

    I studied the violin when I was a kid, but it didn't take. That was Mother's idea. If she hadn't died, I'd probably be sawing away yet. Having no mother is tough on a kid, you know. But when she died, I went to live with my aunt and uncle- great people.

    The way I figure it, whatever abilities I may have now took shape when I was in high school. I also went in for sports like pole-vaulting and track in order to prove something to myself. Track gave me the sense of discipline I needed. Later on, I won a state oratorical contest. I think I might have won the national contest, but I didn't go on with it.

    After graduation, I went to live with my father in Los Angeles, and just fot the hell of it, I signed up at U.C.L.A. for a pre-law course. But that didn't pan out- I guess I wasn't serious enough about it. I even joined a fraternity there on campus, but I busted a couple of guys in the nose and got myself kicked out. As for the law course, well, law calls for a certain talent for dramatics, but I guess it wasn't my cup of tea.

    By then, I had a notion that acting might be the career for me. When I first mentioned acting to my Dad, he didn't think it was such a hot idea. He'd seen too much Hollywood garbage and thought I'd be wasting my time. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not knocking Hollywood. I'm in no position to.

    After I decided to try my luck in pictures, I contacted an agent and got a handful of small parts in movies like Has Anybody Seen my Gal? It was one of those frothy family-type musicals. In that one, I had a line or two as this fresh kid who comes into a drugstore where Charles Coburn is filing in behind the fountain. I was suppose to give him an elaborated description of an ice cream sundae I wanted. He listens, then says to me, "Would you come back tomorrow for a fitting?"

    Then there was Fixed Bayonets, a Korean war picture. There we were, all crouched down behind this hill, covered with dirt and sweat. And it was night raining, real Hollywood, you know. I had exactly one line. It went: "It' s a rear guard coming back." What a part.

    The move to New York turned out to be a wise one, I think. I picked up odd jobs here and there, and I began to study at the Actors Studio, under Lee Strasberg. Most of what I've learned about acting has come from that man. He's incredible, a walking encyclopedia, with a fantastic insight into human behavior.

    I played an Arab in The Immortalist on Broadway, and got an award for it, then came East of Eden, under the direction of Elia Kazan. I didn't read the book. I don't work that way. I'd much rather justify myself with the adaptation than with the source. I think I understood the part, and I knew, too, that if I had any problems about projecting the boy's background, I could straighten them out with Kazan.

    But George Stevens, for my money, is the greatest director of them all- even greater than Kazan. This Stevens was born in the movies. He's so real, so unassuming, and he doesn't miss a thing. Also, we've got a wonderful script for Giant. You know, when it wants to, Hollywood can accomplish tremendous things. And this movie might be one of them. I sure hope so.

    A lot of people have asekd me about Pier Angeli. Well, I met her when she was making The Silver Chalice and I was about to begin Eden. She is a rare girl. Unlike most Hollywood girls, she's real and genuine.And, though she's young, she has a rare insight in life. The only trouble is, she gets confused by listening to too many people.

    Something happened when I went to New York after Eden was finished. Things were different between us when I got back. I kept asking Pier if there was someone else, but she wouldn't tell me. Then, the night before her engagement was announced, she told me she was going to marry Vic Damone. I couldn't believe it.

    I wouldn't marry unless I could take care of a wife properly, and I don't think I'm emotionally stable enough to do so right now.

    To me, acting is the most logical way for a person with problems to express himself. All of us have a great need to let it go in some way, and for me, acting is the only outlet.

    A lot of people laugh at this, but I think every person has to find his real self. That old maxim "Know Thyself" is worth trying to follow.
   
    Like a lot of other people, I'm searching in the only way I know how.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Article found in "The Real James Dean Story", copyright 1956 by Fawcett Publications, INC





0 comments: